The Scale Pose (Tolasana) is a challenging yoga asana that requires strength and focus. This pose is also known as the Scale Pose because when performed correctly, the body looks like a scale or a balance. Tolasana is a Sanskrit word, where “tula” means balance and “asana” means pose. This asana is great for building core strength, improving balance, and developing concentration. It also helps to promote a sense of calm and focus. Tolasana is a seated asana, where the body is lifted off the ground using the strength of the arms and core. It is a great way to challenge yourself and take your yoga practice to the next level.
Steps to do Tolasana:
1. Begin in a seated position with your legs extended in front of you.
2. Place your hands on the ground beside your hips with your fingers pointing forward.
3. Lift your hips off the ground and cross your ankles, bringing your feet closer to your body.
4. Engage your core and lift your legs off the ground, straightening them in front of you.
5. Keep your spine straight and your gaze forward.
6. Hold the pose for 5-10 breaths, then slowly lower back down to the ground.
Benefits of Tolasana:
1. Strengthens the arms and core muscles.
2. Improves balance and concentration.
3. Stretches the back and hamstrings.
4. Stimulates the abdominal organs.
5. Promotes a sense of calm and focus.
Precautions for Tolasana:
1. Avoid practicing this pose if you have any wrist, shoulder, or back injuries.
2. It’s important to engage the core muscles and keep the spine straight to avoid putting strain on the lower back.
3. Do not force the pose, and listen to your body’s limits.
Overall, Tolasana is a powerful yoga pose that challenges the body and mind. It provides numerous physical and mental benefits and can be a great addition to your yoga practice. However, it’s important to practice this asana mindfully and with awareness of your body’s limitations. With consistent practice and patience, Tolasana can help you develop strength, balance, and focus on and off the mat.
Neelam Mishra is an inspiring woman who has dedicated her life to serving her community and country through education, social work, and yoga. With an impressive educational background and a heart for service, she has become a prominent figure in Basti, Uttar Pradesh, India.
Early Life and Education
- Background: Born and raised in Uttar Pradesh, Neelam Mishra developed an early interest in biology and sociology, which laid the foundation for her diverse educational pursuits.
- Academic Achievements:
- B.Sc. in Biology: Mishra’s journey began with a Bachelor of Science in Biology, where she gained a deep understanding of the natural sciences.
- B.Ed. in Special Education: Recognizing the need for inclusive education, she pursued a Bachelor of Education in Special Education, equipping her with the skills to teach and support students with diverse needs.
- M.A. in Sociology: Her Master of Arts in Sociology provided her with insights into social dynamics and issues, further fueling her drive to contribute positively to society.
- Yoga Certification: Embracing India’s rich heritage in wellness, Mishra became a certified yoga instructor, integrating physical and mental well-being into her educational and social work.
- Diploma in Gita
NGO and School for Divyang (Differently-Abled): Neelam Mishra’s commitment to social change is evident in her establishment of an NGO and a school dedicated to differently-abled individuals in Basti. This institution not only provides education but also fosters an environment of acceptance and empowerment for Divyang.