Reclining Hero Pose, also known as Supta Virasana in Sanskrit, is a yoga asana that provides a deep stretch to the thighs, knees, and ankles while also opening up the chest and shoulders. This pose is often practiced as a resting pose or as a preparation for deeper backbends, making it a valuable addition to a yoga practice. In this article, we will explore the definition of Reclining Hero Pose, the steps to perform it, its benefits, and precautions to keep in mind while practicing it.
According to the ancient yogic texts, the Sanskrit Slok related to Reclining Hero Pose is – “Supta Virasana, asana, yoga murti – Shri Krishnamacharya Samhita, verse 12.34.”
Steps to do Reclining Hero Pose:
1. Start by sitting on your heels with your knees together.
2. Slowly lower your hips to the ground and sit back between your feet.
3. Place your hands on the ground behind you for support.
4. Slowly lower your back to the ground, keeping your chest open and shoulders relaxed.
5. Rest your arms by your sides, palms facing up.
6. Stay in this pose for 1-5 minutes, breathing deeply and maintaining a relaxed, open posture.
Benefits of Reclining Hero Pose:
1. Stretches the thighs, knees, and ankles, aiding in improved flexibility and mobility in these areas.
2. Opens up the chest and shoulders, counteracting the effects of hunching over and sitting for long periods.
3. Relieves tired legs and can help reduce swelling in the ankles and feet.
4. Calms the mind and can help alleviate stress and anxiety.
5. Improves digestion and can help relieve symptoms of gas and bloating.
Precautions for Reclining Hero Pose:
1. Those with knee or ankle injuries should approach this pose with caution and may need to use props for support.
2. If you experience any discomfort or pain in the knees, ankles, or lower back, come out of the pose immediately.
3. Avoid this pose if you have a recent or chronic knee injury or if you have difficulty sitting on your heels.
Incorporating Reclining Hero Pose into your yoga practice can provide a range of physical and mental benefits. While following the steps and guidelines for this pose, it’s important to be mindful of your body’s limitations and to approach the practice with patience and compassion. With regular practice and attention to proper alignment, Reclining Hero Pose can become a valuable tool for maintaining overall well-being and flexibility.
Neelam Mishra is an inspiring woman who has dedicated her life to serving her community and country through education, social work, and yoga. With an impressive educational background and a heart for service, she has become a prominent figure in Basti, Uttar Pradesh, India.
Early Life and Education
- Background: Born and raised in Uttar Pradesh, Neelam Mishra developed an early interest in biology and sociology, which laid the foundation for her diverse educational pursuits.
- Academic Achievements:
- B.Sc. in Biology: Mishra’s journey began with a Bachelor of Science in Biology, where she gained a deep understanding of the natural sciences.
- B.Ed. in Special Education: Recognizing the need for inclusive education, she pursued a Bachelor of Education in Special Education, equipping her with the skills to teach and support students with diverse needs.
- M.A. in Sociology: Her Master of Arts in Sociology provided her with insights into social dynamics and issues, further fueling her drive to contribute positively to society.
- Yoga Certification: Embracing India’s rich heritage in wellness, Mishra became a certified yoga instructor, integrating physical and mental well-being into her educational and social work.
- Diploma in Gita
NGO and School for Divyang (Differently-Abled): Neelam Mishra’s commitment to social change is evident in her establishment of an NGO and a school dedicated to differently-abled individuals in Basti. This institution not only provides education but also fosters an environment of acceptance and empowerment for Divyang.